Saturday, November 8, 2008

A little about me and a recipe

Here's a little about my family and about what kind of dinner-cooker I am, so you'll know where I'm coming from with the recipes I share.

I'm the mom of two kids who will hardly eat anything. My three-year-old loves things like plain yogurt and plain oatmeal. And he won't eat anything with a sauce of any kind. Basically, if the food is flavorful, he won't touch it. Then my little one, who is almost a year and a half, won't eat anything that he can't see his older brother eating. Because of this, I cook things that I know my husband and I will like, and if we're lucky enough to get our kids to eat it, great. If not, they are welcome to eat some oatmeal and applesauce for dinner.

My husband and I try to keep our meat ingestion to a minimum. We eat meat and we like it, but we go vegetarian a lot. So I really love vegetarian cooking. Lots of the meals and recipes I will share have no meat. I made this last night and it made us happy.

Roasted Vegetable Quesadillas
(from Moosewood Restaurant's New Classics Cookbook)

2 cups quartered and sliced potatoes
1/2 cup sliced onions
3/4 cup sliced red or green bell peppers
1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini or sliced portabello mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 425. Toss all the vegetables with the olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper. Spread it in one layer on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly brown.

Pile about 1/4 of the roasted vegetable filling onto one half of each of the tortillas, top with 1/4 cup chedder cheese. Fold over to form a half moon shape.

Heat a lightly oiled large skillet over medium heat. Cook two of the quesadillas for 1 to 2 minutes each side, until golden brown. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Cook the next two quesadillas. Slice them in half and serve them warm.

I made this with the mushrooms. Just before putting the cheese on, I added some red pepper flakes because my husband likes things spicy. A little sour cream on the side. Perfect. And my kids ate just plain cheese quesadillas.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Delicious! Next time I will add some sour cream or salsa.