Thursday, September 23, 2010

Meatloaf

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 egg whipped
1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. oatmeal (doesn't matter if it is quick oats or not)
3/4 c. evaporated milk (the secret ingredient)
1 t. salt
pepper (opt. I put in 1/4 t.)

Mix all together in a bowl (I squish it all together with my bare hands, it is less messy and works best for me) and put in loaf pan. Add topping and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Makes 1 meatloaf.

Topping
1/4 - 1/3 c. ketchup
1 T. mustard
2-3 T. brown sugar

Mix together in a small bowl and spread over meatloaf before baking.

This is a great meal to take to others because it cooks at the same temperature and for the same amount as baked potatoes and stays warm until it reaches its destination. When I grew up this was always served with baked potatoes and creamed corn. This is the only meatloaf I love. My mom said she got it off the side of a Quaker Oats box in the 1970's.

No comments: